Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Delpit’s Influence on My Teaching Style

I am not a teacher, but question one interests me. After reading the article, I did not get the impression that Delpit wants solely a skills or process based form of literature instruction. I think that she simply wants to connect writing with how it is used in our society and in our culture of power. I agree with this perspective and feel that it is applicable to all students, not only those that are poor and non-white. I feel that I have had a lot of process type instruction that wasn’t constructive. Here are some elements I would include in my hypothetical writing class:

  1. The students would be introduced to writing other than poetry and creative writing. Writing is everywhere and includes work such as cookbooks, travel guides, and lab reports.
  2. The current form of modern written English would be used a tool expand creative writing. This is important. I think that anyone who writes ought to know the conventions of the culture of power. If a person chooses to expand their writing by bending the rules or using a form more consistent with their culture, that is fine. The basic framework should still be in every person’s mind after completion of their education. It is very hard to learn proper grammar and communication by reading Shakespeare’s sonnets (which are indeed beautiful) and writing similar poems.

3 Comments:

At 10:09 AM , Blogger Jewels said...

I like the idea of having students practice the “language of power,” whether in creative writing or in writing or reading recipes, lab reports etc. I think it is useful for students to see the “language of power” used in information they might encounter in their daily lives or later need to write in their careers. I think actively seeking out examples of the “language of power,” and also how it is broken for aesthetic reasons, as you mentioned, can show the students the importance of learning the “language of power.”

 
At 4:00 PM , Blogger LaceyT said...

Obviously we are all students and I think that if I had learned other examples of the "language of power" certain things would have stuck more. It can be extremely repetitive to read and analyze the same kinds of work as you progress through school. Kids may become more interested in this learning if it was done through a variety of literature.

 
At 8:13 AM , Blogger JENNA said...

I like your idea. To me what is so interesting is that when I was in high school, the power of language in writing a lab wasn't encouraged. The power of language should always be encouraged no matter what subject is being taught or what writing is being done. We should want to take pride in our writing and grammar on all accounts of our work.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home