Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Diagramming

Writing Group 6

It is interesting to me that when diagramming, determiners, adjectives, adverbs and some prepositions are placed underneath on a slant to show the connection to the noun or verb they modify. Because they are in the same position, I see a relation between them rather than as having separate functions.

When diagramming and dividing sentences, how can you tell the difference between when a prep phrase is divided into its own slot and when it is part of the NP?

3 Comments:

At 3:40 PM , Blogger David Yarger said...

I struggled with this too. I try to figure out whether the phrase is adverbial before diagramming it.

 
At 11:25 PM , Blogger LaceyT said...

This was also difficult for me. I found that when I diagrammed it the way I thought it should go, and then referred to the back of the book, the answer was divided differently. I have yet to find a good rule to rely on.

 
At 12:19 AM , Blogger albert smith said...

A prep phrase is always going to be below a line unless it is a subject complement (that is, the verb is a be verb or a linking verb).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home